The World of Investments and Money

Monday, June 4, 2007

Financial goal - calculate the rate required

The author of the book described in my previous post gave a very simple method to calculate the interest rate required to achieve a financial goal in the long term. As an investor knows very well, one should always have a financial goal in mind when he starts investing. Otherwise, his approach won't be a systematic one and the returns not as good. Most investors have a retirement goal.

To start, you must compute a variable called Investment Capital. This is an estimate of the amount of money you have invested and will contribute in the future. The equation to compute this Investment Capital is:

Investment Capital = Value of Current Investments + (1/2 * Annual Contributions*Years to Retirement)

From this equation, compute the Capital Fraction as:

Capital Fraction = Investment Capital ÷ Financial Goal

For example, if I have a goal of 20,000,000 that I want my investments to grow to in 25 years. If my current investments are of worth 400,000 and I contribute 100,000 every year to my investment.

Investment Captial = 400,000 + (1/2 * 100,000 *25 ) = 1,650,000

The Capital Fraction variable would then be computed as 1650000/20000000 = 0.0825

Now, there is a chart with years and Fraction variable matching the compound interest rate required. It is given in the chart below.

From the above chart it is clear that if I want my investment to be worth 20000000 in 25 years, I have to match 0.0825 in the column '25' i.e. my investments have to grow at about 11.0 to 11.5% every year to achieve that. I find this calculation to be very useful. Just create a long term financial goal, calculate the rate your investment has to grow every year and work towards achieving it.


invest mutual funds said...

Really great post for investors. Hoping you will be there with more blog on Finance.

amit said...

Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you

Who can help you in successful PPI claims?

Make money from your Website - BidVertiser

                                              Your Ad Here